13 Superstitions of Halloween
13 Superstitions ofHalloween
1. Jack-O-Lanterns have their roots in Irish legend and were originally carved from turnips. Carve a pumpkin and place it on your porch with a lit candle inside to guide lost spirits home on Halloween.
2. On All Hallows Eve, it is said that ghosts and ghouls walk the earth. We dress up on Halloween to fool these spirits into passing us by.
3. Always burn new candles on Halloween for luck. If a candle flame goes out on Halloween it means the ghost of a loved one has come to visit.
4. If you put an apple or a sixpence and a sprig of rosemary beneath your pillow on Halloween you will dream of your true love.
5. On Halloween, journeys must be finished by sunset, lest the traveler be led astray by mischievous spirits.
6. A person born on Halloween is said to have the ability to communicate with spirits, see the future, and to ward off evil.
7. If you visit a crossroads at midnight on Halloween the wind will whisper your fate for the next year.
8. The tolling and ringing of bells on Halloween chases away evil spirits.
9. When bobbing for apples, the first person to bite an apple will be the first person to marry. If someone has trouble getting an apple they will be fickle in love.
10. If you see a black cat on Halloween, a witch is nearby.
11. Having a silent supper on Halloween invites the spirits of loved ones to the table.
12. It is bad luck to let a fire die on Halloween.
13. Lighting an orange candle on Halloween and letting it burn through the night will bring you luck and good fortune in the coming year.